Impro Basics Level 1
For adults (minimum age 16)
Entry Level: Ability to read simple melody line and chord symbol charts.
PLACES ARE LIMITED TO:
2 pianos * (NO SPOTS LEFT)*
2 guitars * (NO SPOTS LEFT)*
1 bass *
1 drum kit *
and any number of horns or other instruments.
Please let us know your instrument by filling in the Additional Enrolment Information page when you are completing your enrolment.
We will update the availability of places as enrolments are received.
This course is designed for instrumentalists with no background in improvisation.
It provides students with an opportunity to play in a small group and to learn elementary theoretical concepts, historical knowledge and basic skills in the art of jazz improvisation.
Students will learn to:
- Put into practice theoretical knowledge of harmony and scales
- Train their ear and recognise chords and scales
- Perform technical exercises for improving improvisation skills
- Develop time and rhythmic feel
- Listen and relate to other instruments
- Play simple pieces from the standard jazz repertoire
- A practical understanding of contemporary harmony and scales
- The ability to apply essential technical exercises
- Practical experience of playing simple improvised melodic lines over a standard melody and chords.
The course is limited to a maximum of 2 pianists, 2 guitars, 2 bass players, 1 drummer and other instruments up to a total of 8.
WHAT STUDENTS SAY ABOUT THIS COURSE
Friendly tutor who made it easy to learn concepts.
Extremely knowledgeable teacher and super talented musician who has not only amazing music skills but an outstanding knowledge of the various jazz idiom/styles. Dave has a friendly approach and is very encouraging but at the same time he gives a realistic and constructive feedback whenever improvement is needed. I also liked Dave telling about musical situations/stories that he experienced, thus giving a real life/practical approach to theoretical concepts that he asks us to explore!
Anyone who plays any instrument, and wants to improvise in a jazz band but doesn’t know where to begin, should do this course. Take courage, it will be challenging, but you will be improvising in an ensemble setting from the first lesson.
Playing music in a group was an exciting and unique experience.
David Pudney is an inclusive and experienced tutor, who helped the group to significantly develop its improvisation skills.