Terms and Conditions
as at 6 May 2016
Course formats and age restrictions
The Conservatorium Open Academy reserves the right to alter course/workshop/festival details as required and to refuse enrolment as permitted by law.
All courses, workshops and festivals take place at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
Children under 12 years of age are to be accompanied by a parent/guardian who must remain on-site whilst the child is on the premises.
Kids at the Con
Courses are suitable for anyone aged between 3 and 10 years.
Parents of students in the Red class are encouraged to remain in the classroom with their child. For all other classes, parents may not remain in the classroom unless express permission is given by the class teacher. Permission will only be given in extenuating circumstances.
Children of school age who have been playing their instrument for at least 2 year are welcome to apply. Acceptance to the program is by audition.
All classes and individual instrumental lessons take place at the Conservatorium of Music.
All students accepted to the Rising Stars program will be allocated a teacher for their instrumental study by the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Lessons with other teachers may only continue by agreement of both teachers.
Parents of students in the Rising Stars program may attend instrumental lessons with their child only by prior arrangement with the teacher.
Short Courses at the Con
Courses are suitable for anyone over the age of 16 years.
Short Courses are based on a collaborative group learning format in a supportive, non-competitive environment. Class lesson formats are based on group activities and participation, although some tutors may make time for limited individual contact and consultation during the lesson. All classes will naturally have a range of students with varying levels of experience, personal preferences and expectations.
Fees & enrolments
All fees are for tuition only and include government taxes where noted. All other material, including text books where required, are the responsibility of the student.
Places for non auditioned courses are allocated strictly in order of receipt of payment and enrolments are not final until payment has been received.
Kids a the Con
A 15% discount is available for Kids at the Con courses for children of Sydney University students and staff and Friends of The Con. This discount may not be combined with any other discounts.
Please call the Open Academy office on 9351 1400 to register your concession details before enrolling online. Proof of concession status will be required
A 15% discount is available for Short Courses (excluding Audition Fees) for Sydney University students and staff, Friends of The Con and Pension Card holders. This discount may not be combined with any discounts.
Please call the Open Academy office on 9351 1400 to register your concession details before enrolling online. Proof of concession status will be required.
For enrolments processed on-line, receipts will be issued on-line. For enrolments received by mail or in person a receipt will be posted within 10 business days.
Cancellations & schedule changes
If a course, workshop or festival does not reach minimum enrolment numbers the course may be cancelled or postponed. If your course is cancelled, we will notify you before the date of the first class/session and refund your fees in full. Where the course is postponed and the new times are not suitable, you may request a refund of course fees paid.
Scheduled course times may change without notice. Where this occurs every reasonable effort will be made to contact all students prior to the scheduled start time.
Cancellation of enrolment and refunds
Requests for cancellation of an enrolment for any program presented by the Conservatorium Open Academy must be made in writing.
Where a request for the cancellation of an enrolment is made for a course, workshop or festival (excluding Rising Stars core program):
- more than 5 business days prior to the first class/session – fees paid will be refunded less an Administration Fee: The Administration Fee for all courses valued at $245.00 or more is $30.00. For all courses less than $245.00 the Administration Fee is 10% of the course fee. Alternatively a credit may be issued and will be held for 12 months from the time the request is approved.
- 5 or less than 5 business days but prior to the first class/session – a credit will be issued and held for 12 months from the date the request is approved. The Conservatorium Open Academy, in its absolute discretion may consider a refund where extenuating circumstances apply such as the inability to attend classes for medical reasons.
- after the class/session has commenced – The Conservatorium Open Academy, in its absolute discretion may consider a credit or a refund only where extenuating circumstances apply such as the inability to attend classes for medical reasons.
Where a request is made for cancellation of an enrolment from the Rising Stars core program:
- more than 15 days prior to the first date of the semester or term – fees paid will be refunded less an Administration Fee of $30.00.
- less than 14 days prior to the first date of the semester or term – fees paid will be refunded less an Administration Fee of 10% of the course fees paid (including any scholarship or bursary to be applied).
- after the start of the semester or term – will only be considered for serious reasons as an instrumental teacher has been engaged for an entire semester or term. Any refund will need to be negotiated with the Manager of the Open Academy. As a minimum an Administration Fee of 10% of the course fees paid (including any scholarship or bursary to be applied) may be payable in addition to a portion of the course fee.
All credits issued not used within the 12 months will expire.
Credits may be applied to an enrolment in a different name.
Attendance at Individual Lessons for Rising Stars and Play at the Con
Students in the Rising Stars program and Play at the Con are required to provide at least 24 hours' notice to their teacher of their inability to attend a lesson. Failure to provide 24 hours' notice will result in forfeiture of the lesson.
Transfer to another class within the same term may be permitted at the discretion of the Open Academy administration and providing the transfer does not disrupt either of the classes affected by the transfer.
Photography and Recording
Photography, video and or audio recording of any Open Academy class or performance is prohibited.
Code of Conduct
The Student Code of Conduct details the university’s expectations of students in respect of academic matters and personal behavior. The code of conduct can be found on the University of Sydney website here
Continuation in the Rising Stars program is subject to satisfactory attendance in all classes and ongoing performance and development.
Use of practice rooms
Students enroled in Rising Stars or Short courses program may use the Conservatorium’s practice rooms. Download the Conservatorium’s