The Contemporary Vocal Studio - audition
A short audition will be held for this course.
Please prepare a verse and a chorus from 2 contrasting songs (eg a ballad and an uptempo song) to be sung a cappella. You will also be required to sing some basic vocal exercises with the teacher (to be decided on the day).
The Contemporary Vocal Studio offers ongoing development for students wishing to extend their performance and musical understanding in the area of contemporary singing. This course will focus on the contemporary genres of blues, pop, soul, funk, and jazz, and will encourage the student to develop their personal singing style further, whilst exploring more advanced vocal techniques and exercises.
Entry level: This course is suitable for intermediate to advanced singers with previous vocal training.
Students will explore:
- Challenging vocal exercises and techniques
- Extending the breath for long note work
- Advanced ways of interpreting songs and executing different approaches to repertoire
- Executing challenging vocal parts
- Jazz – learning a song, singing through the chord changes, learning the harmony and rhythm parts, and honing a jazz vocal tone
- Advanced breathing techniques
- Establishing practice routines
- Breaking bad vocal habits
- How to rehearse and workshop a song (on your own or with a band)
- Backing vocal harmony parts
Students will experience a supportive and encouraging learning environment, aimed at enhancing their vocal ability and understanding. This course is designed to be an on-going workshop that will suit a participant for one term or as a regular singing class. There will be opportunities for solo singing as well as group work and in the last class of term the students will give an informal, in-class concert for family and friends.
WHAT STUDENTS SAY ABOUT THIS COURSE
Sally is a fantastic tutor. She is very insightful and encouraging, and brings a wealth of experience and compassion to her teaching
Sally has a great ability to connect with all levels of student. Her style of communication is excellent and enables you to instantly warm to her and be engaged in her classes.
The content was great but it was really the delivery and extra mile that Sally went that kept me coming back every week.
Sally Marett is the reason I’m taking this course again next term. She was able to address specific needs of each student whilst keeping the whole class interested and engaged. I looked forward to her class every week